Well another month of reading and a need to decide what to do with the blog. I’ve been happily writing away for myself with no depth and no consideration, it began as an enterprise to read the great s.f. books, morphed into a travelogue of our England journey and had returned to a record of my reading with vague ramblings that are intermittent.
Maybe the close of the year always does this but I may have to rethink.
Anyway the reading list from memory so with lapses:
- Finished the Ulysses Quicksilver Omnibus, my first excursion into steampunk, a lot of fun I would definitely recommend it.
- On Basilisk Station by David Weber, it was fun, it was free and so is the next one, Horatio Hornblower in Space if you like that sor of thing go for it.
- Spin by Robert Charles Wilson, a great idea let down by unsympathetic characters.
- A Dance With Dragons by George RR Martin, still reading it’s heavy going.
- Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, very fun soaked in 80,s references a good book that could have been great if the ending was better, read it especially if you grew up in the 80’s.
- Behold the Man by Michael Moorcock, a masterpiece everyone should read, go on have your expectations challenged.
- The Drowned World by JG Ballard, more style than substance but a great book all the same, it;s really only let down by the quickly and shallowly drawn characters.
- Flu by Wayne Simmons, zombies provisional IRA members what’s not to like.
- The Men In The Jungle by Norman Spinrad, this may have been one of the most horrific, brutal, shocking and most important Science Fiction novels forgotten, if you abhor war read this.
- Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding, this was an engaging and fun book and may turn into a wonderful series, I am looking forward to the next one.
- I tried to read Galactic Patrol by EE Doc Smith but had to give up
- Dark at the End by F Paul Wilson, the Repariman Jack series along with Butcher’s Dresden books have been an ongoing obsession for many years, it looks like Jack’s days are numbered though.
Ok that was the most recent reading, we are most of the way through January now and I am just finishing this post now. I am going to rethink what I am doing with this blog, maybe I will try and get some readers you never know instead of using it as my journal of reading alone.